What We Do
The Advocates for Upstate Medical University now includes the former Community General Auxiliary and is a 501 (c)(3) fundraising and service organization. We have served Upstate Medical University and its campuses for more than 100 years. Our mission is to work to improve the quality of patient and family care, medical education, and community health.
Current Activities Include:
- Sponsoring hospital blood drives. With our volunteer support, we have met or surpassed our goals at each quarterly drive.
- Sponsoring blood pressure screening at local grocery stores.
- Creating special events on select patient units as a diversion for patients and family members.
- Providing periodic educational opportunities for our members and others in the community through our partnership with HealthLink.
- In 2011–12, awarding 40 grants totaling $60,000 to the campus and hospital, helping to educate patients and families and make their hospital stay more comfortable.
- In 2012–13, awarding 55 grants, totaling $100,000 for both campuses, helping to education patients, their families to make their hospital stay more comfortable.
- Golf tournament proceeds benefiting Golisano After Hours Care at Community Campus, Women's Health Network and others.
- Making 2 payments totaling $30,000 towards our pledge of $150,000 for the new Cancer Center.
- Donating $27,500 for ALS—key recipient of our 14th annual Mystery, Malt & Merlot.
In order to do this, funds are generated through several means:
- Commission from contracts for hospital services â€“ Tim Hortons, EspressOasis, Lori's Gift Shop, TeleHealth (patient TVs and telephones), vending machines & OUR365 (photographs).
- Our signature event, Mystery, Malt and Merlot, which will be held on April 12, 2013 at the Oncenter
- Fall Swing Golf Tournament which will be held September 11, 2013
- Ever-evolving activities by our Fund Development & Service Committees