9000 New Yorkers Taking Care of New York
With a unique mission, Upstate makes a difference in thousands of lives, thanks to the 9,000 employees and faculty who bring education, healing and hope to New York, and beyond.
Upstate Medical University is based in Syracuse, but our scope reaches far beyond Central New York.
- Upstate is the only academic medical university in Central New York—an institution of higher education built around a teaching hospital and a biomedical research enterprise.
- Our Level I Trauma Center and our Golisano Children’s Hospital are the only such resources for one-third of the state.
- Thirty-four counties depend on Upstate’s Burn Center and 54 counties upon our Poison Control Center.
- Ninety percent of our students come from New York state, and the majority of the graduates from our four colleges stay to serve.
- Every piece of research at Upstate is dedicated to improving health.
- Upstate employees keep our economy healthy, bringing jobs to the region and recirculating a $600 million payroll to hundreds of hometowns.
Discover the ways the 9,000 New Yorkers at Upstate are taking care of students, patients and families.